Codename HeroPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Fri, March 20, 2015 10:39:38
After using more than two years on improving and developing 8BitBoy, it's a joy to announce 90% of my resources is now devoted to developing a completely new and ambitious title.
The current concept phase is only going to be developed by me, but if I can raise the capital to do so, I would like to hire an extra pixel artist and a musician to compose some original tunes for the new title.
The new title is an western style RPG/adventure in traditional Tolkien style setting, but with a nontraditional gameplay angle. I feel I have learned so much making 8BitBoy, that it's about time to raise the quality and ambition for this next title. It's certainly going to have a more unique style and gameplay, but I will also take more time to make, at least without help.
I plan to make this title a full length game with at least 10-15 hours of gameplay and lot's of reasons to revisit.
It's also going to be a franchise I intend to build further upon after finishing the first game, because your're all going to wan't expansions I'm sure (hoping).
I will probably seek some funds here in Denmark and maybe make a Kickstarter too.
I hope to show something within 1-2 months.
Rasmus Kønig Sørensen
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:39:29
The every level in every world is undergoing a design overhaul. This is to make some of the first levels I made for the game, up to the standard of the complexity of the later levels. This also means alternative routes and much more content.
This is also to stash a lot more hidden places in even more inventive ways. 8BitBoy has so much hidden content you won't believe it. Most people isn't going to find many of these hidden spots, but just knowing they are there to find, makes the game that much more exciting to play. And it's e
- All levels in World 1 to 3 has received a major design overhaul.
- Level 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4 has received a design overhaul and new hidden places or - alternative routes to exit.
- Extra warp zone hidden early in World 1 & World 4.
- New loading screen for game booting up.
- More time to complete each level (time for exploration).
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:38:40
Polishing up and improving 8BitBoy in various places. New features and content are coming to an end for now, but there is still small bits that need to be tweaked and polished before I'm satisfied.
- All levels in World 2 has received a major design overhaul.
- Run and Shoot is now assigned to one key on both gamepad and keyboard.
- Keyboard can be configured for three keys still. X and B on gamepad are the same now.
- Volume bug fixed. Volume lavels are saved automatically.
- Added gradual transition entering hidden places
- All new music in bonus levels
- Black 8BitBoy was green in bonus levels
- Added new or improved hidden places in 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, 2-8, 2-9, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 3-5, 3-6, 4-1, 5-1, 1-5, 1-7
- Dying when black in water randomly caused crash - fixed!
- Green birds flaps wings when falling and floats slowly through air
- Jumping from conveyor belt to falling stone causes insaly fast jump - fixed.
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:35:54
Collecting coins is suddenly a very essential part of playing 8BitBoy. 100 coins used to equal an extra life, but now it activates the power-up roulette. Any power-up you get, you can keep in a slot for when you need it. This makes everything so much easier, and a lot more fun. Having a power-up ready makes you a lot stronger.
- Power-up save slot
- Power-up roulette (collect 100 coins to activate)
- Additional secret areas on 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 2-4
- Fullscreen setting is saved (no choosing at startup)
- Player accelerates faster and breaks faster
- Hidden areas "closes" when dying
- Configure an alternative jump key
- Green grapes has a new sprite
Use Y on the controller or shift on the keyboard to use any stored power-up. You can customize your key bindings in the main settings menu.
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:35:18
I wanted to add another power up for such a long time and now I finally got around to making that happen. The ultimate power-up in 8BitBoy.
The ability to customize keys is also available in the main settings menu. Key bindings will be stored permanently.
- New ultimate power-up
- Firepower increased for black grapes
- Set key bindings (beta, only keyboard)
- New raspberry sprite
* Hint: When you get the black grapes, try to run into someone - make sure you run fast enough.
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:34:43
Hidden warp portals has been carefully placed, one in each world. If you can find the portals, they will grand access to the next world. This Easter egg will make a fast travel through the first part of the game, if found. This feature has been requested for quite some time.
- World warp portals (one in each world)
- Various sound fixes
Achievements isn't ready yet, but rest assured, I am still working on that.
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:34:02
This is maybe the most requested feature of 8BitBoy yet. Now it's finally added with much success. Hope you enjoy this new addition.
- Speed running, press ALT or X button to run
- New music in World 2, both indoor and outdoor
- New music in level selection / world map
- New music in World 4 (only inside)
- Tutorial after intro - learn the upwards shot and speed running!
- The Walking cactus can be woken with a shot
- Reduced waiting time before reloading game
- New dying animation
- Added water splash (+ lava and sand)
- A few new sound effects
- Boss world 1 - fixed wall bug
- Black crows "caws"
- Added power-up sounds
- Added grass to world 2
8BitBoy DevelopmentPosted by Rasmus Kønig Sørensen Thu, July 17, 2014 10:33:21
There is few but important updates this time. The first important update is the pinpoint accuracy when jumping and hitting rocks and tiles. You can now pinpoint exactly which tile you wan't to hit.
The other major update is increased performance in the game in general. On some GPU's it as much as 100%.
The last update is a tutorial after the initial intro of the game. Learn trail shooting and more important - to shoot upwards. There is also a part about power-ups and jumping.
- Pinpoint accuracy when hitting tiles
- Huge performance increase
- Tutorial after intro - learn the upwards shot
- Boss world 3 wall hang bug (fixed)
- Cactus falls of screen when dead (fixed)
- Intro (falling) edited and added animation and sounds